Tuesday, October 23, 2012

To Facebook or Not to Facebook

My first impression of Facebook was less than excited. Myspace had already been around awhile by the time Facebook became popular with kids so I honestly didn't think much of it. Once I joined Facebook I found it a lot easier to navigate than Myspace was and eventual preferred it over other social media sites. I still use Facebook to this day and find it very helpful. However after reading the article "Why Facebook is After Your Kids" I have a new outlook on Facebook and the way it operates. What the article basically says is that Facebook takes the information from your account and seals it to different companies in order it target you as a consumer. One of my dad's favorite sayings is "Nothing is free in life, everything comes with a price" , in which this is a perfect example. You can enjoy the benefits and entertainment of social media sites like Facebook, but do be aware that in return they are taking your information from our life and giving it to complete strangers. Ask yourself .. Is it worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment