Monday, September 10, 2012

Vocabulary List 5

Acumen is quickness, accuracy, and keenness of judgment or insight.
You have to be acumen to be able to hunt.
Adjudicate is to study and settle a dispute or conflict.
Thanks to the lawyer he and I have finally adjudicated.
Anachronism is the representation of someone as existing or something as happening in other than chronological, proper, or historical order.
I have extreme OCD I can never have things in a anachronism manner.
Apocryphal is of questionable authorship or authenticity.
My older sister is apocryphal.
Disparity is the condition or fact of being unequal, as in age, rank, or degree; difference.
There is an obvious disparity between the president and the vice president.
Dissimulate is to disguise one's intentions.
He is sneaky the way he dissimulates.
Empirical is relying on or derived from observation or experiment.
Scientists live emperically.
Flamboyant is highly elaborate; ornate.
A single snowflake up close is quiet flamboyant.
Fulsome is offensively flattering or insincere.
Sometimes his coments come off fulsome.
Immolate is to kill as a sacrifice.
Aztecs immolated pigs.
Imperceptible is impossible or difficult to perceive by the mind or senses.
He is so imperceptible sometimes.
Lackey is to wait on as a footman; attend.
I hate when i have to lackey to my mother.
Liaison is an instance or a means of communication between different groups or units of an organization, especially in the armed forces.
I wish my brother and I shared more liason.
Monolithic is massive, solid, and uniform.
The prison is monolithic.
Mot. juste is exactly the right word or expression.
I can't think of the mot. juste for such a gift.
Nihilism is an extreme form of skepticism that denies all existence.
He practices nihilism in every aspect of life.
Patrician is a person of refined upbringing, manners, and tastes.
Charles Bingley is a fine example of a patrician.
Propitiate is to conciliate an offended power; appease.
Please propitiate me is I miss pronounce your name.
Sic is thus or so.
Maybe I'll switch the word thus out with sic.
Sublimat is to modify the natural expression of a primitive, instinctual impulse in a socially acceptable manner.
When I am highly upset by a person remark I usually sublimat my feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment